Thursday, May 19, 2011

You may want to check the number...

A funny thing happened to me yesterday, and since it keeps running through my mind I thought I'd share. First you'll need a little history to understand the whole story. I am the President of our school's PTO, called C.A.R.E. We recently were given the opportunity to purchase a large amount of soda, bottled water, candy etc. from a teacher at the high school to sell at our concession stand at track and field day. That teacher's name is Loretta, and she has a daughter named Ali. We had planned to meet Wednesday right after school for me to pay her and pick up the concessions. The following texts were exchanged just before I left my house to meet her.

719-***-**** Have to go to Pueblo with Ali tonight. Can we find some time before Saturday evening?

me: Yes. Tomorrow after school or Friday anytime.

me: Or I can leave and be there by 3:30 today of that works better.

719-***-**** Gotta take Ali to Pueblo for sleep study at 7:30. So I'm leaving in less than an hour. Waiting to hear from Wilson on tommorow or Friday.

So I got to the school, got my kids from the bus and decided to run inside to find the secretary. On my way in I ran into this teacher. Confused, I asked her why she was still there, I thought she was leaving for Pueblo. She looks back confused, says no, to which I show her the texts. She laughs and says "nope." Hmmm. I can't think of anyone else I know with a daughter named Ali.
So we get back in the car and I text this mystery individual back:

me: I'm sorry, I believe you have the wrong phone #. I thought you were someone else and your texts made sense until I saw the person I thought you were at the school and she had no plans of taking her daughter Ali for a sleep study. So you may want to check the number.

719-***-**** This is the greatest wrong number notification I've ever gotten. Have a great evening!

I don't know this woman. But I'm really glad I text her back and let her know that the individual she was intending to text wasn't getting them. And I'm relieved that I had the decency to be polite. I even wanted to continue our text conversation. I've been to Pueblo with one of my own to have a sleep study done, so I almost felt a connection with this mystery woman. I'm not sure why this keeps going through my mind, I guess I just feel flattered that is was her greatest WRONG NUMBER notification ever.

No comments: