Wednesday, September 29, 2010

No more messy pumpkin carving here!

I LOVE the holidays! All of them! And I LOVE to decorate for the holidays as well. So when I came across this little idea, I HAD to try it! It's just some used jars, (like from pickles or mayo, the kind you can't re-use for canning food), tissue paper, mod podge, black cardstock, and fabric. That's all.
Just cut your tissue paper into strips about 1 1/2 inches wide, and tall enough to reach from the bottom of the jar to the lower edge of the jar top. (What's that called anyway!) Then a little at a time, just brush on the mod podge and lay the strips down and press as you go. Allow that layer to dry while you make the faces/design out of cardstock. Then glue them on (I used stick glue, it seemed to work the best.) and then mod podge over the top. Allow to dry, then wrap a piece of torn fabric around the top and make a bow/knot. And it's done. Add a little tealight candle or some lights and you're ready!


This is my creation in the daylight.



And this is at night with the candles lit inside. I'm gonna go find my Christmas lights tomorrow and put them in, I think they'll shine brighter. This is also a great craft for kids.....it's messy and easy, what more could you ask for???

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Are you looking for the word 'rim'? And it looks like something I want to do. I've even got some jars on my counter just waiting for some good craft project.